Visa and Immigration Services

Business Without Borders 

C O N T A C T   U S

Hong Kong Dependent Visa

The spouse and children of persons admitted to work and reside in Hong Kong may apply for a Dependent Visa. A Dependent Visa is not subject to any conditions of stay and is normally granted for the same period the main visa holder is eligible to remain in Hong Kong. In support of a Dependent Visa, the sponsor, i.e. the main visa holder, may be required to provide proof of his/her financial capacity to support his/her spouse and children.


Hong Kong Dependent Visa Scheme 

The Dependent Visa Scheme is essentially a relocation visa for the immediate family members (spouse and unmarried children below 18 years of age) of foreign nationals who hold a valid Hong Kong visa for employment, investment, training or study in Hong Kong or who are permanent residents in Hong Kong. 

A Few Points To Note

  • A separate application needs be filed for each family member and must be sponsored by the principal visa holder. 
  • The dependent’s length of stay in Hong Kong is tied to the sponsor’s length of stay. This means that the Dependent Visa holder can live, work and study in Hong Kong for the period during which the principal visa holder is permitted to stay in Hong Kong.

Who can apply?

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried children below 18 years of age (including legally adopted)

Documents Required for Dependent Visa

Documents need to be submitted by the applicants:

  • Completed Dependent Visa Application Form. For a child applicant under the age of 16, the form must be signed by the parent or legal guardian of the child.
  • Dependents whose sponsors are applying for visas either for employment as a professional, for investment to join in/establish a business, for training or for studies, need not fill in the separate Dependent Visa Application Form. This is because the application forms for employment visas, investment visas, training visas and visas meant for studies have a built in section for dependents and can be completed along with the sponsor’s principal application and submitted together.
  • A copy of the personal particulars page of your passport. If you are currently staying in Hong Kong, a copy of your passport page containing the latest arrival stamp/extension of stay label in Hong Kong. 
  • A copy of your Hong Kong identity card (if any)
  • A copy of proof of your relationship with the sponsor, e.g. marriage certificates, birth certificates, family photographs, family letters, census record book and Privilege Card for Single Child (if applicable).

Documents to be submitted by the sponsor:

  • Part B of the Dependant Visa Application Form
  • A copy of the sponsor’s Hong Kong identity card (if any)
  • A copy of the personal particulars page of the sponsor’s passport. If the sponsor is currently staying in Hong Kong, a copy of the sponsor’s passport page containing the latest arrival stamp/extension of stay label in Hong Kong
  • A copy of proof of the sponsor’s financial standing, e.g. bank statements, savings accounts passbooks, tax receipts and salary slips
  • A copy of proof of sponsor’s accommodation, e.g. rental receipts.

Note: In the case of built in applications, where both the sponsor as well as the dependent are applying at the same time, it may not be possible for the sponsor (i.e. principal applicant) to furnish certain details like salary slips or rental receipts. In such cases, the principal applicant’s sponsor should provide affirmation by furnishing a copy of the principal applicant’s employment contract stating salary, benefits etc. or any other document that demonstrates the principal applicant’s ability to support his/her dependents.

All documents submitted must be in English or Chinese or translated into English or Chinese by a certified translation body. The Immigration authorities reserve the right to demand further documents from the applicant or sponsor as and when necessary.

Application procedure and timeline

  • Both you and your sponsor must prepare and complete all the necessary documentation
  • Once the application forms and supporting documents are ready they must be submitted to the Hong Kong Immigration Department.
  • If you are residing overseas, you can submit the documents in person to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your country
  • In the case of in-built applications, your sponsor can submit the application along with his principal visa application form – employment, investment, training or study (as the case may be).
  • Once all the documents have been submitted, the processing of your Dependent Visa Application will on an average take around six weeks.
  • If your application has been successful, the Immigration Department will issue a Visa/Entry Permit label. Your sponsor can collect it in person on your behalf and then proceed to post it to you. 
  • Upon receipt of the Visa/Entry Permit label, you must affix the same on a blank visa page of your passport. This must be presented to the Immigration Officer upon your arrival to Hong Kong.

Ready to apply for a Dependent Visa?

Contact Us

Blog List

C O N T A C T    U S

Have a question for us?

If you are looking for a business partner that’s committed, agile, expert, and genuine, you’ve come to the right place.

We’re Encore and we’re ready to talk.

To contact us, simply fill in your details and leave a message. We'll be in touch within the next business day to discuss your requirements and answer any questions you might have.

First Name
Last Name